1. Women want to work. 60.8% of the women artisans asked for more work, and the remaining 39.2% were content with the number of hours they were currently working. Nearly 20% of women explicitly expressed interest in working more hours than they currently were. This was unprompted. Many of the women did not have specific opinions about other topics, but were bold enough to express this view.
2. Women spend wiser. Whereas only 24% of women reported their households saving money, 41% of women reported saving themselves. Women were also about 9% more likely to report spending money on education, whether that was for themselves, or other members of their families.
3. Center-based work is preferred. 87% of women were able to list benefits to working in centers over working in their homes. These benefits included, but were not limited to, socializing, learning new skills, having a focused workplace, and feeling motivated and inspired by other women.
1. Assessment Guide and Pilot Study of Rangsutra’s Social Impact: This is an integrated document containing a revised survey tool, a baseline socioeconomic impact assessment, and a socioeconomic impact assessment. The survey tool's revisions are based on experiences from summer field-work using the same tool. Both assessments were created using data from the survey tool. The baseline socioeconomic impact assessment is primarily quantitative data to provide insight on socioeconomic conditions in Barmer. The socioeconomic impact assessment is primarily qualitative data to illustrate benefits of Rangsutra employment.
Assessment Guide and Pilot Study of Rangsutra’s Social ImpactOpen the PDF
2. Creating a Social Return on Investment: The fellows’ second deliverable is meant to link social impact assessment and investments, and is a tool for Rangsutra to create a social return on impact investment profile for future use.
Creating a Social Return on InvestmentOpen the PDF